We are called by Christ to be a welcoming community of believers who celebrate life’s spiritual journey. We are dedicated to a growing faith manifested by unconditional love, compassion, thoughtful service and stewardship within our church, community and world. We are part of the worldwide United Methodist Church.
Our congregation has been a vital part of the Decorah community since 1851, when a Methodist congregation was established, just two years after the area was opened for settlement. A wooden building was used for worship until 1874, when the present church was built at the cost of $12,680. The steeple has had four different “looks,” and in the early 1900s, space for the kitchen and fellowship hall was excavated under the sanctuary — mostly by hand! A Christian education wing and offices were added in the 1950s.
Over the years, three small rural congregations have joined us: Freeport Methodist Church, Canoe Methodist Church and Washington Prairie United Methodist Church. Each of these had its own heritage. Canoe Methodist was a German-speaking congregation. Washington Prairie was Norwegian, and one of its first pastors was sent to Norway as a missionary. The United Methodist Church of Norway and its approximately 4,500 members trace its history to Decorah!
Below: Our 2018 Youth Christmas program featuring the Puppets of Praise and children’s choir.